Thursday, October 25, 2012

First Duck Jerky Ever


So last weekend after shooting my limit of 7 ducks the first thing I thought about was using the smoker I got for my birthday.  It is a big chief smoker and I've heard a lot of good things about them.

So one night I had time and I cut up all 14 breasts. I then used a seasoning and jerky cure  from High Mountain. I then let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours.

Today I put the smoker together and placed the duck meat on the racks and started it up.

2 hours later some delicious jerky came out.  We like our jerky frozen so it went straight into the freezer for us to enjoy tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I have been freezing plucked, half birds to further process after hunting season, if I get bored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I breast my birds out and try to get them done right away, but sometimes have to freeze the meat to process another day. Althought it is a steep learning curve sometimes with jerky.

    ReplyDelete