Saturday, December 1, 2012

Muck boots review Part 1


Muck Boots “Woody Sport”

 

It was all I could do to keep my composure and not run away screaming in pure fright. 

 Rory did not know it, but he had just dug up the boot of my childhood nightmares.   I was once again stuck in an endless Alfalfa field changing hand lines.  I could not move how ever hard I tried.  I was held in my nightmare by the sloppy fitting green irrigation boots.  If you grew up on a farm you know exactly the boots and nightmare I am talking about. 

I was complaining about having wet feet for the last time after setting up Elk camp. Rory of R-Dub Outdoors told me he had the perfect boot for me to try.  Rory shows me the Muck Boots “Woody Sport”, and says “Try these and I bet you will like them”. 

The only stipulation was I needed to write him up an honest review of the boots.  If you know me I am commonly referred to as Brutally Honest, and few people have ever asked me to clarify my opinion or beliefs.  I finally had my revenge as I smiled and grabbed the evil boots.   I was going to expose these devil boots for what my memory told me they were.

I get home and have to run out to the shop to dry the tent and get ready for my two week Montana Elk trip.  I slip into the first boot with my jeans inside the boot top, and it actually snaps into place like an actual lace up boot.   These boots fit nicely and secure.  I head out to the shop, hang tents, fold tarps, and get out all the other hunting/camp gear taken care of.  I keep thinking “Wow, these boots are comfortable and actually feel good”.   I know the faults will show themselves when I get over to Montana and spend a couple weeks really using the boots. 

On the way over to Montana I was wearing the boots, and in the heated truck cab I had to take them off.  My feet were getting too hot after about three hours.   We finally get to our camp location and it is five degrees outside.  I was wearing normal cotton athletic socks.  Our tents are 48’x17’ with carpeting, stoves, cots, saddle racks, and more stuff then we need.  With getting the horse lines, outhouse, and wood cut it usually takes two of us a solid eight hours of outside type work.  We had to build a fire early to warm my buddies feet in his work boots.  My feet were perfectly warm and I am loving the boots.  After the horses arrived I actually stood in the stream with water half way up the boot on purpose while they drank.  The end result of the day was one new pair of Muck Boots sold!  Yep, to my hunting partner who helped set up camp “I am getting a pair of those boots”. 

I took a quick hike in the boots, and quickly realized I was not going to be hunting steep terrain in these boots.   There is not enough support in the ankles and foot area for hiking steep hills and rugged terrain.  On flat ground and gentle hills they were great but as soon as toes, sides, or heels only were needed to maintain traction the boots were done.  I used the boots every day after hunting around camp taking care of horses, chopping wood, and general use.   They flat rock and are the perfect boot for this type of activity.  If I was on flatter terrain I would not hesitate to use these boots for hours of walking. 

After a week of not seeing any legal bulls, we pack up and moved 150 miles away to another location.   The temperature was now 40 degrees, and we start at 7am and are not done until 11pm with four people working.  I don’t take the boots off all day long.   My feet are super hot all day long, but there is no time to stop or change out my boots.  The end result was some wet feet from sweat.  Obviously an all rubber boot that fits snugly is not going to breathe much.  My socks were not super wet but I probably could have squeezed a few drops of sweat out. 

Three days after getting home from Elk hunting I’m on the water after Steelhead with clients.  I do not get the luxury of sitting around the heater and warming up, so my feet have to stay warm in comfortable boots.   The morning starts out at 20 degrees and ends at 38 degrees.  I only wear my athletic cotton socks and my feet are in heaven all day.  With some medium weight wool socks I think these boots would be good for sub-zero temps with just minimal walking or movement.

Like all fears if we just face them we normally find we get some weird enjoyment out of it afterwards.  In summary this boots are flat amazing for the fit and overall versatility in cooler weather.  For me they have a couple limitations, but the positives easily surpass the negatives three to one.  This is one product you will not be upset about buying, and you will be using them for a lot of different activities. 

- Ron Oules

 

No comments:

Post a Comment