I read a comment just the other day and it made me just have to answer. The person was talking about why shoot coyotes because the person shooting them is not going to eat them. This is just one of many different views on why coyotes should not be shot. I just happen to take the opposite view on whether coyotes should be shot or not.
There are lots of reasons to shoot coyotes.
1. There are a very good predator and not only kill young deer but adult deer regularly. Contrary to popular belief they kill perfectly healthy animals.
2. They kill farm and domestic animals daily. Besides Owls, Coyotes are the top predator for domestic cats and small dogs.
3. They carry Rabies, Mange, Distemper, Heartworm, and others. Yes, these diseases are transmitted to other domestic, wild animals easily, and even humans at times.
4. It stimulates the economy one dead coyote at a time. Their pelts can be sold for decent money for both the hunter and fur dealer. Fuel, vehicles, firearms, clothing, footwear, calls, etc. are purchased and used.
5. By killing coyotes it actually increases their birth rate or "Natality", so in a way killing coyotes will increase their population potentially. How can it be bad when shooting them increases the numbers of offspring and increases the opportunity to kill more. It is a situation where actually everyone and everything wins. Well not everything wins…the dead coyotes would have lost I guess.