Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Take me fishing

This is a writing prompt suggested by to tell a story about introducing a child to the outdoors.

Every year on National fishing day there is a childrens fishing fair in the community where I live. Every year the police diepartment I work for goes to the local fish hatchery and helps children of the community fish for big trout.

Before the can fish they have to go to some educational stations. They can go to the state park stand where the local ranger teaches the kids about life jacket safety. Or they can go to the sand table to play in the mini river ecosystem, learn how erosion works, and hear why it's a good idea to take care of riparian habitat.

After they go to the different stations they get to come fish with the cops. They are so funny with their small G.I. Joe and Barbie fishing poles. They throw their bait out into the pond and if they are lucky they can hook into a 6-8 pounder. Then it's our job to try and net the fish before it breaks the line.

It is so much fun to watch a little child reel in a big fish. It's even better when they are brave enough to hold it and get a picture with it.

After they catch their monster they go to the cleaning station and see the fish biologists gut their fish and they learn about the biology of the fish.

One year I got to fish with my 6 year old nephew. I look forward to bringing my daughter there when she is old enough.

Overall this lets a community come together and helps children of all ages learn about fishing and the outdoors.

1 comment:

  1. I can not wait to take Sutherland to these things. I love living here its great for kids.

    ReplyDelete